NEW DATE & LOCATION!: The 2017 Sally B. Wallace Preservation Awards, recognize outstanding projects and craftspeople involving the preservation, restoration, and enhancement of Galveston County’s historic buildings and neighborhoods. The annual award ceremony is named after the late Sally B. Wallace, one of the driving forces behind Galveston Island’s preservation movement and a pivotal figure in saving the antebellum Ashton Villa from demolition.
About the 1904 GH&H Depot
The GH&H Freight Depot was built in 1904. At the time, the railroad was jointly owned by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (commonly known as the “Katy”) and the International & Great Northern Railroad. Both of these railroad systems relied on the GH&H line to deliver goods and people between Houston and Galveston. As the island city recovered from the 1900 Hurricane, the railroad companies sought to fortify Galveston’s role in the cotton trade. Towards that end, the GH&H Depot, billed at the time as one of the “handsomest and most substantial of its kind,” was built with the capacity to handle the entire annual cotton crop of Texas.