With the beautiful weather and longer days, families are spending more and more time outdoors. Saengerfest Park, located in the heart of Downtown Galveston, is a great place to find affordable fun for the season. Saengerfest Park is a small square park located on the corner of 23rd St. and The Strand in Galveston’s Historic Strand District.
Saengerfest Park is known for having a large, playable chess set, a large compass that can be used as a seat, wooden benches, an old-fashioned London-style phone booth, and a stage used for movie and music nights throughout the year. The park also hosts a number of events associated with Island festivals, including Dickens on The Strand, “Mardi Gras! Galveston,” and more.
Visitors and residents are invited to enjoy free movies in historic Downtown. Movies begin just after dusk. Moviegoers are encouraged to set up a blanket or chair for a free movie under the stars. Movie Nite takes place the first Saturday of each month through October. Upcoming movies are:
- April 7th: “Wonder Woman”
- May 5th: “Rebel Without a Cause”
- June 2nd: “Dolphin Tale”
- July 7th: “It’s a Wonderful Life”
- August 4th: “Guardians of the Galaxy”
- September 1st: “The NeverEnding Story”
- October 6th: “Hocus Pocus”
Music Nite on The Strand takes place on the second Saturday of each month through October, 6-9pm, and presented by Mitchell Historic Properties and The Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau. These free concerts are a great family-fun event.
- April 14th: The Samy Jo Band (Country, Blues)
- May 12th: Blaggards (Irish Folk Rock)
- June 9th: Donovan Keith (Soul)
- July 14th: Campfire Soul (Blues, Rock)
- August 11st: Dem Roots (Reggae)
- September 8th: The Fab 5 (Beatles Tribute)
- October 13th: Bon Ton Mickey and the Zydeco Hot Steppers (Zydeco)
For more info and a full list of events go to galveston.com/saengerfestpark/#calendar.