Saengerfest Park, located in the heart of Downtown Galveston, is a great place to find free family-friendly fun as the days (slowly) begin to cool off.
Saengerfest Park is a small, square park located on the corner of 23rd St. and The Strand in Galveston’s Historic Strand District. Saengerfest Park is known for having a large, playable chess set, a large compass that can be used as a seat, a colorful iconic Galveston wall mural, a huge beach chair offering photo opportunities, wooden benches, an old-fashioned London-style phone booth, and a stage used for festivals, movies, and concerts.
Visitors and residents are invited to enjoy free movies the first Saturday of each month beginning just after dusk. Moviegoers are encouraged to set up a blanket or chair. One free movie remains for the season:
April 4th: “Funny Girl” (1968)Cancelled May 2nd: “Torn Curtain” (1966)Cancelled
- June 6th: “Dora & The Lost City of Gold” (2019) Cancelled
- July 4th: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” (2018)
- August 1st: “The Golden Compass (2007)
- September 5th: “Blast for the Past” (1999)
- October 3rd: “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil” (2019)
Music Nite on The Strand takes place on the second Saturday of each month, 6-9pm. These free concerts are a great family-fun event. Dancing is highly encouraged. One free concert remains for the season:
April 11th: The Fab 5 (Beatles Tribute) May 9th: Bubble Puppy (Psychedelic Rock)
- June 13th: Diamond Jack (Classic Rock)
- July 11th: Two Tons of Steel (Rockabilly)
- August 8th: Dem Roots (Reggae)
- September 12th: The Fab 5 (Beatles Tribute)
- October 10th: Kiss Alike (Tribute)
These free concerts and movies are presented by Mitchell Historic Properties and The Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau. For more info go to galveston.com/saengerfestpark.