Although Galveston Historical Foundation won’t be holding its annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour this year, the foundation isn’t leaving its annual celebration of historic Galveston homes behind. On Saturday, May 9 from 1-5 p.m., GHF will be welcoming online visitors in for a special virtual edition of the annual event. Viewing of the event will be held at www.galvestonhistory.org and www.facebook.com/galvestonhistory.
“The extraordinary architecture on the island can be appreciated and enjoyed from many vantage points,” explains Dwayne Jones, Galveston Historical Foundation’s Executive Director. “This is just one more way to experience these homes and we look forward to your support and the opportunity to share our great buildings and history.”
This special online event will feature live walkthroughs of historic homes, lectures and special presentations by historians and architectural experts, and special programming. This program is offered free to the public, but GHF is encouraging visitors to consider a $30 donation, the cost of a homes tour ticket, or a contribution of their choice.
As #galvestonhistory responds to the Coronavirus, the foundation is taking the opportunity that social distancing gives to connect to audiences looking for unique online content. GHF’s Digital Connection program offers numerous online learning and community opportunities through a variety of digital platforms. These programs include Facebook live lectures, special Instagram takeovers, virtual tours, homeschool programming, and more. A full list of current experiences is available at www.galvestonhistory.org/connection.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 1:00 – 1:30 PM: Tour of the McKinney-McDonald House, built in 1890
- 1:30 – 2:15 PM: Galveston Architecture lecture by GHF Executive Director, Dwayne Jones
- 2:15 – 2:45 PM: Tour of the William and Mary Margaret Moody III House, built in 1938
- 2:45 – 3:30 PM: Stephen Fox Lecture on the architecture of John Staub
- 3:30 – 4:00 PM: Tour of the Charles and Estelle Miller House, built in 1899
- 4:00 – 4:30 PM: Presentation by Plein Air Southwest
- 4:30 – 5:00 PM: Tour of the James and Louise DeForest House, built in 1883
Other Galveston Historical Foundation events are: