Eco-Art Kayak Adventures
Say hello to spring with an Artist Boat kayak tour. Registration is now open for the season! Kayak beautiful Galveston Bay on an eco-art kayak adventure with Artist Boat Saturdays & Sundays until September. Paddle your cares away as you transform your mindset from everyday humdrum to Coastal Adventure! Nominated for best-guided water tour, Artist Boat is led by scientists and artists. Spot wildlife! Identify native plants and taste saltwort! Bring the whole family! Spaces are limited to 10 guests. Book your Adventure and Register today at artistboat.org/public-kayak-registration/
Eco-Art Adventure Pricing is:
- $75 for three- and four-hour Adventures and includes stop for watercolor demonstration and painting. All Adventures include tandem kayak, lifejacket, paddles, and guided instruction.$
- 50 for three- and four-hour Adventures: if you bring your own equipment (kayak, paddle, and lifejacket).
PLEASE NOTE that adventures at the Coastal Heritage Preserve include a 0.3 mile walk to the launch site and may not be suitable for bringing your own equipment. You would be responsible for carrying your kayak to and from the launch site. Let’s just nix this for now.
Summer Camp Registration is Open for Children of All Ages
There is no better way to celebrate summer vacation than with Artist Boat’s scientists and artists! Come explore the great outdoors in safe and exciting ways.
Summer Eco-Art Camps (Ages 5 to 10)
Art meets science in Artist Boat’s 2021 Summer camp sessions! Week-long camps are being held from June 21-July 30, 9am-4pm daily. Different activities every week! Campers will experience true science and art enrichment with the creation of Eco-Art. Each camper will create high-quality art projects, which illustrate all that they have learned throughout camp. There are different activities each week! Come for one or come for all!
- Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics enrichment
- High-quality art projects
- Sessions limited to 10 campers
- Camp sessions are $200
- Campers must bring lunch/snacks
- June 21 – 25: Off the Deep End – Learn the mysteries of the deep oceans! Students will get to know deep-sea creatures and environments up close and personal. They will learn about deep-sea adaptations such as bioluminescence, the deepest trench in the ocean, ocean zones, hydrothermal vents and deep-sea exploration! Students will get to take home their own hydrothermal vent sculpture, bioluminescent painting, and puppet of their favorite deep-sea character.
- July 12 – 16: Shark Mania – CHOMP! Join us to learn more about the biology and behavior of sharks. Students will get to know sharks inside and out through a dissection! Topics include shark anatomy, adaptations, their many razor-sharp teeth, and diets. Students will get to take home a shark head sculpture, shark canvas painting, and hand-made shark teeth!
- July 26 – 30: Whale of a Time –Do you know how to communicate like a whale? Come learn biology and the behavior of Whales. All students will take home a monoprint painting, a whale fluke sculpture, and a whale canvas painting!
Check out the daily activity or register at artistboat.org/eco-art-camps/
Summer Eco Camps (Ages 11-15)
Registration is open for Summer Eco Camps 2021! Week-long camps are being held from June 14-July 23, 2021, 9am-4pm daily. Explore the wetland environment around Galveston Bay in a human-powered vessel and on nature walks! Learn to kayak with American Canoe Association’s QuickStart Skills: rescue skills, how to handle the weather, trip planning and more. Learn how to seine and practice different fishing techniques such as cast netting and crabbing. Each camper will make their own personal pizza at our outdoor classroom!
- Sessions limited to 10 campers
- Camp sessions are $275 per week
- Ages: 11 to 15
- Campers must bring water bottle & snacks
- June 14 – 18, 2021
- June 28 – July 2, 2021
- July 19 – 23, 2021
Register online artistboat.org/eco-camps/
NOAA BWET Professional Development
Sign up for a professional development course with Artist Boat today! Artist Boat is offering our NOAA BWET: Turn the TIDE on Climate change and Extreme Weather Professional Development Workshop for Educators from June 7th – July 1st, 2021. Artist Boat is a TEA-certified Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider for Texas. These include live panel discussions with scientists at NOAA, hands-on workshops & activities, kayak trips, and so much more! To check out the schedule, learn more, or sign up go to artistboat.org/noaa-professional-development/. Space is limited so sign up before it’s full! This course is offered for FREE!
NOAA Planet Stewards Professional Development
Sign up for a professional development course with Artist Boat today! Artist Boat is offering our NOAA Planet Stewards: Community Resilience to Climate Change Professional Development Workshop for Educators from July 5th – 29th, 2021. Artist Boat is a TEA-certified Continuing Professional Education (CPE) provider for Texas. These include live panel discussions with scientists at NOAA, hands-on workshops & activities, kayak trips, and so much more! To check out the schedule, learn more, or sign up go to artistboat.org/noaa-professional-development/. Space is limited so sign up before it’s full!
This course is offered for $20 a person!
- National Ocean Service
- NOAA’s Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
- Galveston Independent School District
- Pasadena Independent School District
Enrich your Days with Nature
Open 7 days/week, from dawn until dusk, enjoy the 150-foot boardwalk and elevated viewing and seating from the platform. Walk the ½ mile trail and be on the lookout for wildlife as you soak up the beauty of Galveston’s wetlands.
Located at 13102 Stewart Road, the Helen and Edward Oppenheimer Bird Observatory is an award-winning project that contributes to a better quality of life in our community. Designed across a landscape for curated experiences that are transformative for the learner, the observatory was built by The University of Texas at Austin School of Architecture.
Amenities include ADA access, parking lot, bike rack, a clean port-o-let and if you’ve got a keen eye, you might see some wildlife! Let us know what you find.
For a bird’s eye view and directions to the Preserve:
ADDRESS: 13102 Stewart Road, Galveston TX 77554
Artist Boat is a non-profit organization providing hands-on, minds-on, and feet-in experiential learning for people of all ages through Eco-Art programs that allow them to interact and learn about marine and coastal environments. Programs take place in kayaks, aboard vessels, by foot, on campuses, in classrooms, and in places of natural significance.
Artist Boat’s mission is to promote awareness and preservation of coastal margins and the marine environment through the disciplines of the sciences and the arts. Artist Boat hosts a variety of activities throughout the year including kayak adventures, youth programs, and more.
Artist Boat has won national recognition for its educational programs and is a leader in outdoor educational experiences for small groups led by scientists and artists.