Mark a Bucket Item Off Your List:
Ride a Horse on the Beach
You can mark “Take a horseback ride along the Texas Gulf” off of your bucket-list because Galveston Island Horse & Pony Rides (GIHPR) is now offering rides Memorial Day-Labor Day, Wednesday-Sunday 11am-5pm. Private sunset ride are available after hours too.
The riding trail follows the shoreline around the outskirts of the East Beach’s sea-turtle and seabird sanctuary. The trail passes right by the south jetty on the furthest south-east tip of the island and goes around to the ship-channel side of the beach. The trail includes a beautiful natural lagoon, teaming with wildlife on one side, and a serene beach on the other side.
GIHPR was founded by longtime Galvestonians who worked diligently to bring together their three great passions, horses, the Gulf-Coast, and public service. This union of passions blossomed into a public horseback riding experience along a beautiful Texas beach that only Galveston Island can offer. “Our staff is experienced, professional, and kind horseman that love horses and will share that passion with you. We look forward to riding with y’all on Galveston Island.”
Costs are per person.
- $50: 30 minute guided beach trail ride
- $70: 60 minute guided beach trail ride
- $100: 75 minute private sunset ride
- $100: Professional sunset photo-shoot (includes horse and handler)
- $25: 10 minute pony ride (for children only)
- $20: Beachfront horseback picture (take a picture on a horse by the water with your camera)
- $15: Horseback picture (take a picture on a horse with your camera)
- $10: Accompanied child with an adult (must be under 6 years of age)
It is strongly advised to make a reservation by calling (409)256-0663 or go to gihpr.com. Walk-ups are accepted but not guaranteed. To check in, go to the farthest southeast part of the East Beach parking area. They are directly behind the first lifeguard tower, just west of the seabird/sea turtle sanctuary.